Monday, September 27, 2010

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

I have had a lot of time to do easy 'tasks' this week as Dr. James told me to get myself to bed and stay there. What have done with my time? Eat. Sleep. Read. Nap. Face time with the Internet. Slumbered. Watched Movies. You get the picture. 
Part of what I read was my journal. Yes, I am known for my habit of writing down funny stories, sermon notes, prayer requests and comments or thoughts I have which I want to ponder a little longer. [People tell me to take notes for them too, and I do. ; ) And some really appreciate me for doing so ; ) ] So my journal also has a place where I have written down passages of the Scriptures for various and a-sundry reasons. This week I looked at several of these passages but the one that really caught me amazed and begged me to think about was this one:
verse 7
Where can I go from YOUR SPIRIT? 
Where can I flee from YOUR PRESENCE?
verse 8
If I go up to the heavens, YOU are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, 
YOU are there.
from Psalm 139

Here are my riffs on this old, old song:
Ancient people have recorded their thoughts of what their 'heavens' held, what they were like, what they controlledetc. But I don't think they ever pondered the idea of going up into outer space except as a metaphor of their current situation.
The twentieth century people did ponder the literal idea, the idea to go 'where no man has gone before', the idea that ancient humanity really and truly didn't think of as a literal one.
'To go up to the heavens?' Nope. Never. That's crazy talk. After all didn't the Ancients think the ark was Noah talking crazy?
Speaking as a 'Post-Modern' woman [which I only sorta think of myself as], Modern Individuals [men and women] queried over and over again in our history, Why can't we?
Why can't we inhabit the sky?
Why can't we go into space?
Why can't we go to the moon and back?
Why can't we live out there in the expanse of the heavens?
Why should we?
Why shouldn't we?
And that is just what they did, they answered all of those questions. In the 1900s we went places we had never gone to before; And you're right, I mean that literally and metaphorically.
After reading this Psalm and knowing 'we' had gone to the heavens, I asked myself some questions about those men and women who dared to dream and dared to go.
Have any of those 'space-age travelers' been religious?
Has any one human carried this GOD-Breathed Scripture out there past Earth's atmosphere?
Did s/he hide in her/his heart these words to ponder them while out there or did s/he have to write it down to take along the ride?
Did this person ask her/him-self to answer the questions posed in Psalm 139?
Did s/he look out the hatch window and feel that The PRESENCE Of The LORD there with her/him?
And looking further back into each explorers' personal history, if indeed a religious person was granted the opportunity to go; did that one person choose such arduous schooling, grueling training and the battle to travel because of these few lines of Scripture?
Did any of the people signing the paychecks of those chosen to experience weightlessness not in a plane but above the planet's plain; did those signers consider this simple poetry when they signed those slips of paper?
Was the refrain remembered in the choice made by all those people who helped make the reality of space travel? 
Was the verse remembered in the choice made by any of those people because Bible Scripture influenced their lives?
Was it because they wanted to experience GOD in that far away place out there?
Was their decision the same as or similar to what Ronald Reagan said about the Challenger Crew:
"they prepared for the journey and waved goodbye and 'slipped the surly bonds of earth' to 'touch the face of GOD.'"?
Was it the Tower of Babel all over again?
Some of both?
How much of either?
Surely, the words that were written to The LORD in Psalm 139 are included in our Holy Bible because even before The LORD created though JESUS CHRIST with The WORD the world; The CREATOR foreknew that humanity would make its way out of its earthly boundaries and barriers to those self-same heavens the psalmist pondered and about which he cried out to GOD. Surely?
Again I am allowed entrance into HIS Gracious Destination of Awe & Wonder. Wow!
What A MIGHTY GOD we serve! 
What A Powerful LAMB I love! 
On What SOLID GROUND I Stand!
Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please HIM, for he who comes to GOD must believe that HE IS, and that HE is a REWARDER of those who diligently seek HIM.
And Do I Seek HIM? Yes, I pursue HIM minute by minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What It Was, What It Is, What I Want It To Be

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog